Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Happiest Day of the Year is (almost) Here!

Welcome Back! Sorry we’ve been a little slow with the blogs lately. There’s been a lot going on, but I’m sure you’re all familiar with that problem. So how are you doing?
   It’s hard to believe it’s almost Thanksgiving already. I have to admit, it’s my favorite holiday. I love cooking a huge meal for family and friends, even though lately it’s pretty much just been me and Keith. Oh, and the dog; can’t forget the dog. She appreciates a good turkey as much as the next girl. This year Michelle (the human writing partner, not my Dalmatian) and I are combining forces for the day so we can split up the leftovers. Thalia will have to work as usual, so she and her husband will celebrate together in the evening when she gets home.
             When I was young the highlight of Thanksgiving for me was that mom would break out her chex mix. She made it weeks earlier and put it in tins in the store room to wait for the holidays. It was torture. Now don’t confuse this with the recipes they publish now. They aren’t the same. Neither is the stuff you can buy in bags at the store. Not that they aren’t good, they just aren’t Mom’s. Fortunately, I have her recipe and someday I will gather the ingredients to make a batch. I just hope it lives up to my memories.

            What are you all doing for the holiday? Is it your favorite or just a prelude to Black-Friday shopping? You know, I have never gone out on Black Friday. I always had to work and then once I wasn’t working I couldn’t really afford to shop so I just stay home luxuriating in a tryptophan induced haze, watching holiday movies. It’s all good.

            Oh, one more question because, in case you haven’t noticed, food is a recurring theme around here. What is your favorite dish on Thanksgiving? After the bird itself, I favor the squash. We hope to hear from you. 
                                                                                      ~D.

                                                                                 

5 comments:

  1. Green bean casserole and scalloped corn are high on my list, but the turkey remains the star of the show!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever make green bean casserole with homemade cream of mushroom soup? It's on a whole different level. Yum!!! Keith doesn't like scalloped corn so I'm usually stuck with the plain kind but mom used to make it every year. And I agree it's a favorite.

      Delete
  2. Cranberry relish, homemade rolls, apple pie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love homemade rolls. In fact, I love homemade bread of any kind. However, I'm usually not organized enough to make them on the day so I rely on brown and serve ones. Even then it's a crap shoot whether I'll remember to a) put them in the oven and/or b) take them out. lol

      Delete
  3. I love it all. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday hands down. I love stuffing, corn (even corn custard) squash, tators, green beans... the whole table! I remember the stuffing muffins D made a few years back. They were so good. I have been black Friday shopping before but never early morning stuff. I went mid day. It wasn't really worth it. Now I just enjoy my food baby coma and watch Hallmark movies. =)

    ReplyDelete